Monday, June 06, 2005

Money, money, money!!.. or We gotta move these colour TV’s

On the subject of brand sponsorship. Kotler defines four basic types of brand sponsorship: manufacturer's, private, licensed, and co-brand. BrandChannel.com features an article called 'Oops, I Merchandized It Again'. At least two points are worth noting:

1. No longer do artists sell just music.. The biggest item for sale is 'the lifestyle': Kiss' creepiness, Britney's alleged naivete, Santana's suaveness -- all being marketed through ads, dolls, t-shirts in addition to the tried-and-true vinyl and CDs.

2. These days licensing your name (i.e. brand) off has become a major source of income for artists.. Hence, a Beatles' song in a commercial, or an army of Cher, Britney, or Spice Girls dolls in toy stores..

Truly, quoting Mark Knopfler:

I shoulda learned to play the guitar
I shoulda learned to play them drums

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

i remember when hit songs first started appearing in commercials and the backlash it seemed to cause. now we see it on a regular basis as artists (and their management) find other outlets in order to make money. each artist / band is its own brand, and they need to nurture / develop that brand constantly to keep in the public conscience.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Andre Grachev said...

I agree.. I wonder if any research has been done on the value of those brands (e.g. what's Madonna worth or how much is 50 Cents).

1:48 PM  
Blogger Andre Grachev said...

Hi Brandon,

Great obeservation!
I wish we could extend this class for a few more weeks -- researching brand names of celebrities could be an intriguing exercise. One idea might be to plot the brand value against a timeline -- Bloomberg style -- and observe how (or if) the value is affected by negative publicity, copyrights, etc. Another exercise could be to determine how related brands (in Jacko's case that would be Janet's) might be affected.
I haven't been able to dig out any reliable and consistent data on entertainers' brand values, unfortunately.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home